Pursuit of dream 2: life of musician


Anna Fedorova's play of Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No.2

     I started to listen to music since I learned to play the cello. I learned to play the piano at the same time, and the first music I downloaded was classical music. I listened to classics from Bach to Rachmaninoff, and I especially liked pieces like Rachmaninoff piano concerto No. 2 or Dvorak Symphony no. 9. I was a classic man for like 10 years. I could feel the deep sensation through many pieces and thought the classics have so many things to study. 

     I began to listen to POP, rap, or ballad music when I went to middle school. It was a whole new spectrum of music, and also appealing as classical music. However, I thought that these kinds of music did not have depth on themself, and not academically valuable. All songs were sharing the same theme or chord, and it was boring. I even thought them not as artists. So-called producers are making music effortlessly, while classic players practice for more than 10,000 hours to tune their instruments and to play in a steady beat. Modern musicians were not creating music but borrowing it. I was frustrated.

     One day, I looked up my father's mp3 and found a new genre of music, jazz. I was shocked, and soon I thought that this genre is the ultimate form of music. Fascinating chords, improvisations, and that sentimental vibe. Only the one who plays the instrument freely also perfectly understands the great world of music could be a great jazz player. They had an exceptional understanding of chords and knew how to create a narrative in music. I fell in love with jazz and tried to do jazz, but first, I had to study chord and practice more piano. Unfortunately, I had no time, soon I had to give up playing of it. There were so many things to study.

     Again, I was at the crossroad. I always felt infinite happiness when I play jazz, but it was too late just as a pursuit toward a soccer player. Betting my life to music was so dangerous. However, I thought that a life of a musical artist could be started later on. I could always work on the project on the weekend while working somewhere, and it heard to be more realistic but also agreeable for me. Therefore I could relieve my pain.


댓글

  1. The musical journeys of teenagers is always interesting. Somehow, most boys go through a "Led Zeppelin phase" where they discover Jimmy Page and spend an entire year listening only to Zep. I definitely went through that phase. I never went through a jazz phase but I agree with you - jazz is amazing when it is at peak levels. I like the Lounge Lizards. They have a massive cello. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBD9j9pcla4

    답글삭제

댓글 쓰기

이 블로그의 인기 게시물

2019.9.9

Seating on the priority seat

IMHO : AI should be embraced rather than feared. There is far more to be gained than lost, and it is worth all the risk